The usage of electronics has increased a lot recently. And day by day its usage has increased more.
One of the most utilized survey methods, an online survey is the systematic gathering of data from the target audience characterized by the invitation of the respondents and the completion of the questionnaires over the World Wide Web (www).
In the last few years, the internet has been used by many companies all over the world. Whether it is market or scientific research, the online survey has been a faster way of collecting data from respondents as compared to other survey methods such as paper and pencil method and personal interviews.
Other than this advantage, the web-based survey also presents other pros and benefits for anyone who wishes to conduct a survey. However, it is also important consider the drawbacks and disadvantages of an online survey method.
The Advantage of Online Survey
- Ease of Data Gathering
The internet helps us in many ways. It is a vast virtual world that connects all kinds of people from around the globe. For that reasons a survey that requires more respondents can be conducted faster via the internet. Especially if there is an incentive that is given after their participation.
- Minimal costs
Some survey methods often require you to spend thousands of dollars to achieve the optimal result. On the other side, studies show that conducting an Internet survey facilitates low cost and fast data collection from the target population. Online questionnaires and sending Emails are more affordable than the face to face method.
- Increase in response rate
Online survey gives the highest level of convenience for the response of the people, because they can answer the question according to their own place, and from anywhere of their chosen time, and preferences.
- Automation of data input and Handling
The respondents are able to answer their question by means of inputting their answer while connected to the internet by online surveys. Then the responses are automatically stored in the survey database providing hassle-free handling of data and a smaller possibility of data errors.
- Flexibility of Design
Depending on the answer to a previous question the order of the questions in an online survey can be changed, or questions can be skipped altogether. That way, a survey can be customized to each participant as he or she proceeds.
In total, online surveys are a great option for people and organizations who would like to conduct their own research as they are less time consuming and cheaper, analyzes results faster and you can transfer and use the data in various applications to answer important questions. You can get solutions for all your survey related problems from Survey Monkey.
The disadvantage of an online survey
- 1. An online survey is not suitable for the surveys which ask open-ended questions because there is no trained interviewer to explore the means of the respondents
- Poorly chosen distribution channels can lead to biased data, low response rates and a host of other potential issues.
- Participants are less likely to stay fully engaged for a survey of more than 8-10 minutes than with other.
- Unless an identification verification tool is used, it is impossible to know if the sample providing answers is the right person (i.e. it could be a family member, friend, etc.) or if one person is submitting multiple responses research methods.
- Difficulty reaching certain types of participants, such as those who do not have internet access or non-customer samples in niche industries.
- Lack of quality random sampling leads to questionable (if any) statistical confidence and margin of error. It is a major challenge to the market research industry nowadays.